Monday, March 25, 2013

What Makes You Know So Much About EP?

Believe it or not, I didn't even believe in evolution in my early years. Suddenly, I got to questioning religious mores. Why were there so many of them. Then the answer hit me like an eviction notice. They made them up! In 1859 a man named Charles Darwin published a book On the Origins of Species which made all speculation of life's beginning moot. Darwin himself was not big into using Evolutionary theory as speculation for human behavior. It took about 100 years or so for two important books to start the process rolling. EO Wilson's Sociobiology and Richard Dawkins the Selfish Gene i.e. a gene makes a human to replicate itself.

When I started to believe in evolution, a fascinating article appeared in Omni magazine in 1988. It said there were possible links to human evolution and human behavior.  Then I started to see books pop up. Here are some recommendations:

1. The Moral Animal by Robert Wright
2. Any book by David Buss. If you can afford it get his textbook
3. Why Beautiful People Have Daughters
4. Nesse and Williams: Darwinian Medicine

I found out  from someone on the Internet that they even teach courses on EP in undergraduate school! I was a guy before my time!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment